The Best VPN Service offers an easy way to maintain your anonymity when surfing the net as well as unblocking online services by making you ‘appear’ to come from a different geographic location. Finding the right VPN for your needs is easy by reading our in-depth reviews and setup guides.
Keep reading to find more reasons to why using a VPN can make your online experience better and which features will make sure you find the exact service you’re looking for.
Check our quick summary table below and specific provider reviews for more information.
Our VPN Software Reviews
|$8.32 monthly||30 Days||Excellent|
|$5.00 monthly||3 day trial||Excellent|
|$5.75 monthly||30 Days||Excellent|
|$3.33 monthly||7 Days||Excellent|
|$6.66 monthly||30 Days||Good|
Purchasing Your VPN: A Simple Guide
Making the decision to use a VPN service is usually the first step in a long process. After you make up your mind that you need to use a VPN service, you will have to choose a particular VPN service. Many things make the process of choosing a VPN service complicated. In the first place, there are very many VPN services that are currently operating in the market.
All these services have specific features that make them unique. Therefore, for you to get the most appropriate service that you can use, you need to sift through a long list of VPNs. Second, specific companies that offer VPN services focus on specific aspects of the market. Therefore, some VPNs are more suitable for some uses than others. In light of these complexities, here is a simple guide you can use to choose the best VPN for your needs.
Choosing the Best VPN to Avoid Geo-restrictions
Many companies that stream media content online restrict the geographical areas in which they stream their content. Hence, you can access the content of many of these websites if you are in particular countries. The reason as to why these companies restrict their content to specific regions of the world is simple: they do not want to breach copyright agreements. Companies such as Netflix get into complicated agreements with other businesses that produce the content that they stream. Therefore, streaming companies cannot violate these agreements.
For many people, it is possible to overcome geo-restrictions by using a VPN. A VPN helps to hide your IP address. Therefore, servers of the companies that stream media content cannot tell your real location. Therefore, by using a VPN, you can overcome geographical restrictions and access content from anywhere in the world.
However, not all VPN services are the best for accessing content from any location. Here are some of the factors that you need to take into consideration when choosing a VPN that you can use to bypass geo-restrictions.
1. The number of servers
The best VPNs that you can use to bypass geo-restrictions are those that have many servers. VPNs that have thousands of servers spread across the world tend to offer clients better services than those that have few servers. Therefore, when choosing a VPN service that you can use to bypass geo-restrictions, you should go for one that has a reliable server network. Services that have strong server network help you to connect to the internet using servers in any location. Hence, you can use such services to quickly overcome restrictions and access content of websites from anywhere in the world.
2. Connectivity speed
When using a VPN to access the internet, you tend to experience reduced speeds. VPNs have slightly slower speeds because they use additional servers in the connection process. However, many VPNs still have very good speeds. It is when you use a VPN with high connectivity speeds that you can successfully stream content online. In this case, it does not make sense if you manage to overcome restrictions but fail to access content because of slow connectivity speeds. Therefore, when choosing a VPN service to use to overcome geo-restrictions, make sure that you consider the connectivity speed of the VPN service that you intend to use.
VPN services use various methods to secure the privacy of their clients. For example, the use specific encryption protocols to encrypt the data of customers and make it difficult for third parties to access the data. However, VPNs still face a lot of challenges. For example, it is possible for VPN services to lose connectivity and expose your IP address. IP address leaks usually lead to loss of privacy. If your VPN service is leaking your IP address, websites can unmask your identity and terminate your connection. Therefore, you need to check the overall level of security that a particular VPN service uses before you choose to use it. Interestingly, some VPN services use a unique feature that automatically ends your connection if the VPN server happens to develop a problem when you are online. This feature, which is called, ‘Killswitch’ helps to prevent IP address leaks.
Choosing the Best VPN for Using Bit Torrent
BitTorrent is a popular platform for peer-to-peer file sharing activities. You can use BitTorrent to access nearly all types of files. For you to use bit torrent, you have to log on to the service and access the files that you would like to download. One common problem with bit torrenting is that people can see your IP address and even the files that you are downloading. Once third parties see your IP address, it means that you are no longer anonymous when online.
More so, hackers and other cyber criminals are increasingly picking up their targets on Torrents. Therefore, to avoid all these dangers, you can use a VPN. Here are some of the things that you need to consider when choosing a VPN that you can use for bit torrenting.
1. The encryption protocols used
Encryption protocols determine how secure a VPN service is. There are many encryption protocols that VPN services can use. Whereas some protocols are old and considered vulnerable, others are new and found very effective in keeping client data secure. You need to find the type of encryption protocols that your VPN service uses before you settle on what you can use for torrenting. Always choose a VPN that uses a broad range of encryption protocols. Such VPNs help to conceal your traffic and make it possible for you to torrent safely.
2. Connectivity speed
As it is the case when you are choosing a VPN for overcoming geo-restrictions, you need to take into consideration the connectivity speed when selecting a VPN for torrenting. When torrenting, you need to have good connectivity speeds to download large files within the shortest time possible. Given that VPNs usually have lower speeds because of the complex encryption protocol that they use, you need to choose services that have the fastest bandwidth for you to torrent safely and faster.
Our Torrent downloading guide has more information about how to use a VPN safely with Peer to Peer networks.
What is a VPN and are they safe?
A VPN fully known as a virtual private network is private network created across the Internet or public network. It serves to enable the users to send and receive secure data shared on the public network just as if you sent it over a privately connected network of the devices.
Even though VPN cannot make a completely anonymous private connection, they increase the privacy levels and security of the data exchange. A VPN only allows the authenticated devices over the network to access the private information. This is done using encryption techniques and tunneling protocols. VPN provides confidentiality here the attacker will only see encrypted data, it also provides sender authentication to keep unauthorized users from joining the network. Lastly, VPN provides message integrity where there is no tampering with messages transmitted over the public network.
What is a VPN connection
So as to establish a VPN connection, a virtual point-to-point connection is created using dedicated connections, traffic encryption, and tunneling protocols. Some of the benefits of a wide area network can be experienced through a VPN over the public internet. The resources within the home network can easily and securely be accessed remotely via VPN network. VPN networks are also created a private network owned by a service provider in case you need more security. Large institutions like banks, schools, colleges and government agencies use VPN so as to enable remote access to a central server privately and securely. They are used to extend intranets by creating a network over long distances safely.
What is a VPN typically used for?
- VPN’s are used to extend networks of institutions for example bank branches and government agencies being able to access centralized data from the headquarters securely and privately as if the server is on-site.
- Student or worker can be given access over a VPN to access the school resources or work information from home securely. This helps keep away snooping when using public Wi-Fi at restaurants or airports.
- If you download a lot legally or illegally, the simple way to avoid being witch-hunted by companies is to download securely. Things like BitTorrent requires you to have a VPN to keep you safe from being dragged to court even for something you may not have done.
- Minding security for general communications at home or when away.
- Avoiding local restrictions to what sites to visit. When using a VPN, you can watch and read whatever you like bypassing government and geographic constraints. For example, read our Guide that shows how to watch Foxtel outside of Australia.
What is a VPN service provider?
Before you can use a VPN service, you must subscribe to a VPN service provider. They bill few dollar monthly, but there are free ones too even though their services are limited in one way or the other. The service provider offers a variety of gateway cities which allows you to choose where your computer IP address is located. This allows for access to sites that are only allowed in particular countries and may be blocked in your country of residence. Travelers especially can benefit from this application since you don’t get limited to what you usually access when you travel outside your country to locations with severe restrictions like China and Iran.
Why should you use a VPN?
- You visit a different cafe every time, so you need a VPN to keep you safe. The Wi-Fi connection freely available in your local restaurant or school is unencrypted therefore exposing you to God knows what. Even the basic level hacker can break into the Wi-Fi network and cause you harm.
- VPN helps you appear to be in a different location or country, therefore, keeping you hidden from hackers targeting your IP address.
- If you want to prevent your employer or school from monitoring what you do on the internet, then a VPN is your solution to all this.
- If you are tired of Google keeping your search information, then a VPN is your friend here.
- When doing research on your competitors and you don’t want them to be alerted that you accessed their site, use a VPN to mask your identity.
Which features makes a good VPN?
The best VPN for any individual or organization offers an excellent balance of several features like price, connectivity protocol and server location. Some can be considered for a one-off use whereas established organizations can use others in the long term. Look for these features:
- Protocol: using SSL or IPS security protocols is better though each protocol has its merits and demerits. Some VPN service providers use lower security protocols. End users, however, need not concern themselves so much with these.
- Corporate and exit locations: it is important to consider these two as they spell out how you can hide your real IP location. In case you need to access services in the US and the UK then choose a service provider that has these varieties, servers in many places for flexibility.
- Logging: pick a service provider that does not log your activity. Even though your communications may be secure, the records can be used to get some data about your communications. The government may request for this information from the service provider, however, if there is no log, you are safe.
- Anti-spyware/anti-malware: a top VPN service should include protection to keep you secure. Always have someone watching your back through these applications.
- Mobile App: as you enjoy this new sense of security when using the internet, it is good to extend it to the mobile phone which is used more than the PC these days. Choose the one which will cover all your devices.
You need to take into consideration different factors before you settle on a VPN that you can use either to torrent or bypass geo-restrictions. In the case of overcoming geo-restrictions, you need to choose a service that has a secure server network, good connectivity speeds, and advanced security features. In the event of bit-torrenting, you need to choose a service that has good connectivity speeds, encrypts your data securely and allows clients to access peer-to-peer file sharing sites.