Foxtel Go streaming is practically a ‘must-have’ app during the Australian Winter for sports fans who want to watch AFL or NRL.
But if you’re wondering does the Foxtel go app work overseas? – no, it doesn’t due to Geo restrictions. Expat Aussies or travelers will notice, Foxtel ‘block’ their app with Geo Restrictions, so you won’t be able to watch Foxtel Go.
Luckily there’s a simple, cheap workaround, VPN services. VPNs bypass the limitations set up by the Pay TV network, by making your device appear as if you’re in Australia, even though you’re watching from Bali, Thailand, USA or Europe. The recommended VPN providers below all support, Windows, iPhone, iPad (iOS), and Android.
Service Provider Comparison
|Features||Easy to setup software, very reliable network||Recommended if you're streaming in China||Great price, reliable service|
|Money Back||30 Days||3 Day Trial||7 Days|
|Pricing||$8.32 monthly||$6.67 monthly||$2.87 monthly|
Best VPN for Foxtel Go
Our recommended VPN for watching Foxtel Go overseas is Express VPN.
- In our testing, they provide the fastest download speeds, which is the most important feature when judging a VPN provider for watching sports (who wants your game buffering with 1 minutes left in the match)
- Express also provide the most consistent network availability. In other words, there are a few providers ‘almost’ as fast as Express VPN, but there network occasionally is offline, or slows down because too many clients are connected
- Servers in Sydney and Melbourne
Watching Foxtel Go in China
China’s high-tech firewall often causes havoc with low-cost VPN providers, causing network connection issues streaming Foxtel Go. We recommended using the VyprVPN ‘Pro’ service, it’s been the most reliable Virtual Private network service for access outside of China.
- VyprVPN have designed a proprietary protocol ‘Chameleon,’ which has been the most consistent VPN service capable of working through the China Internet filtering systems. **Vypr’s basic service doesn’t support Chameleon.**
- Vypr is slightly more expensive than Express VPN services but will provide a seamless experience watching Foxtel Go in China
- VyprVPN provides a Perth server, in addition to Sydney and Melbourne
Other VPN Providers
Another good option for streaming Foxtel is PureVPN. In speed testing, they’re slightly slower than Express VPN, but in the real world, this doesn’t affect the watching experience.
- Cheapest VPN service in our top list
- More server locations than Express VPN. PureVPN provides servers in Sydney, Perth, and Melbourne
Does Foxtel Go Work Overseas in any Country?
Generally yes, but it’s difficult in countries with slow internet infrastructure (yes, there are countries with slower Internet than Australia, but not many).
In the countries that I’ve traveled to, Cuba and Central America struggled to steam Foxtel Go. I also couldn’t get streaming to work while in a few African countries.
Best Practices for Streaming.
There are a few steps you can take to improve the viewing experience of Foxtel Go, that can make the difference between watching your favorite A league team or not.
- Test your VPN connection can successfully stream Foxtel before you leave Australia. All of our preferred VPN suppliers include a money back guarantee so if you’re not happy with the viewing experience, or the app just doesn’t work. Ask for a refund and try one another recommended provider.
- If you’re using a laptop with a Network (Ethernet) port and have access to a wired port, use it! WiFi networks, although they only add marginal latency, sometimes this is enough to prevent steaming.
- Use WiFi rather than your local mobile carrier. You probably wouldn’t use a Telco carrier anyway, because the data downloads will be expensive. 4G connections will handle Foxtel Go, but 3G, GSM or CDMA will provide a frustrating streaming experience.
One of the other bonuses of watching Foxtel Go over a VPN is you won’t need an expensive VPN provider because you don’t require the complicated logging or security features which buyers concerned with privacy require.
Enjoy watching Aussie Foxtel overseas!